The successful candidate in this position will possess key skills and experience which include knowledge of international export transportation. This position requires excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task along with the knowledge to produce accurate workflow in a fast-paced, high-pressure freight forwarding operations environment, while positively contributing to the success of the team.
**This is an entry level position**
• Ethical with sound judgment
• Possess a passion to help team members
• Reliable, follows through
• Balances team’s needs with goals of organization
• Outstanding written, verbal, presentation and organization communication skills
Essential Duties and Functional Responsibilities:
The following definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities for this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
• Perform tasks safely
• Ensure area housekeeping requirements are met
• Abide by all OSHA rules and Vantec Hitachi Transport System (USA), Inc.’s safety practices
• Meet established procedures and productivity, safety and quality standards
• Assist in maintaining the security and safety of the warehouse
• Count or verify freight for accuracy and/or damage and infestation
• May perform labeling, sorting, wrapping, packing and repacking for shipments as needed
• Cross train to all functions in Export and Logistics Operations
• Investigate and plan the most appropriate route for a shipment, taking into account the nature of the goods, cost, transit time and security
• Negotiate contracts, transportation and handling costs
• Obtain, check and/or prepare all transportation documentation to meet Customs and insurance requirements, packing specifications, and compliance with local and international regulations
• Liaise with third parties to move goods (by road, rail, air or sea) in accordance with customer requirements
• Arrange air/ocean transport for urgent and high-value freight and managing the risk door to door
• Arrange courier and specialist hand-carry services
• Work closely with customers, colleagues and third parties to ensure smooth operations to deadlines
• Maintain communication and control through all phases of the journey, including the production of management reports and statistics
• Maintain current knowledge of relevant legislation, political situations and other factors that could affect the movement of freight
• Manage multiple customers across the globe coordinating shipments between multiple carriers and modes of transportation
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager
• Strategic Thinking
• Problem Solving/Analysis
• Project Management
• Communication Proficiency
• Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
Educational and Experience
Requirements and Preferences:
• High school diploma / GED
• Experience in the cargo transportation industry, namely on export side preferred but not required
• Effective, clear, and concise communication skills
• Detail oriented with ability to solve problems independently as well as in a team environment
• Demonstrated experience interacting, developing and maintaining customer relationships
• Proven success in and improving quality, service, safety and client relationship in a fast-paced high-pressure setting
• Proven competencies in Microsoft Office products
• Ability to safely operate a Powered Industrial Truck and receive certification
• Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and regulations (OSHA)
• Ability to pass all TSA background requirements
• Understand and comply with EMCP (Export Management & Compliance Program)
• Ability to work flexible hours according to business needs
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents
• Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (if applicable):
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk and hear, to stand and walk for short periods of time, and to frequently bend, stoop, and kneel. The employee is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and lift with arms, shoulders and legs. The employee is required to sit for prolonged periods of time; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and / or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and / or move up to 50+ pounds.
A two-thirds percentage of work time is spent in an office setting where the environment is climate controlled with the other one-third of work time is spent in the warehouse where the environment is not climate controlled.
Vantec Hitachi Transport System (USA), Inc. is an equal opportunity organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.